Skip to main content

100 words statement

From the first model to the last one, my direction went from making a real living space to exploring the limit and edge between the abstract and functional aspects of the room model.
For the abstract direction, I tried to make the outside shape more abstract by folding papers at first and by cutting and sticking the foam-core and balsa wood in the later stage. 
For the functional direction, I put many different furniture in the room during the process in different models like beds, desks, bookshelves, and etc.
Besides, the light study is also a major factor that I took consideration in my design and model making.  Opening up one side, cutting slots, and using plastic paper are ways I took to let the lights come in. What's more,  geometric shapes also helped with the shadow and mood creating.
After this series of model makings, I made abstract and functional rooms and found abstract is also a way to achieve functionality and although they are two extremes, they can exist and cooperate together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 Assignment

Sketches Lines Shapes Direction Size Texture Colour Balance Proximity Alignment Repetition Contrast Space Tree Canopy Pathway Raised Bed Street Furniture Building Skin Hardscape Active Frontage Greenspace Branding Wayfinding Public space Foyer Cantilever Safety equipment Ornamentation Balustrade Ergonomic Design Timber Decking Cast Concrete Lighting Photoshop Infographics Site Drawing Composition My Sitedrawing process and reference

Paper folding technics

Model 1 made of foam core and paper

In this first week, I started the project with paper and foam-core 1:10 models. I tried to make this room exactly the same layout as the real one and I also put bed and table in to make it functional and this thought impacts the later models deeply. I also used the folding technic and the tabs to make the bed, desk, and stairs (plus the stair element comes back in the sixth model).